We all like cake, but the traditional cake is something that not all of us can have! Some of us have dietary restrictions because of being vegetarian. This means that consumption of eggs is a big no. But what if you want to make cake yourself at home? That would require you to have an oven. But what if that is also a restriction you can’t work with? Don’t worry, because today we’ll talk about a cake recipe you can make without eggs or an oven.
This recipe involves dairy, however. So if you’re a vegan, this recipe might not be for you. This vanilla cake recipe is for people who want to make a soft, delicious cake at home without an oven, using a pressure cooker. You can use this recipe as a base for whatever topping you want, making it ideal for special cakes for occasions.
You can make this cake with a store bought cake flour or simple plain flour/maida. You can use a simple buttercream, vanilla, or chocolate frosting to top this cake. To make it more into a product, you can make two cakes and top them on top of each other. To do this, just double the batter and make it in two pans or the same pan twice.
- 1 ¼ cup of plain flour or all-purpose flour
- 200 ml condensed milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 – 4 tsp sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, soft and cold.
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the first step, grease a dish and add some parchment paper on top. This is your insurance against sticky cake that does nothing but ruin the utensils. Since we’re not using an oven, add a heaped spoon of salt to the pressure cooker. Spread it evenly and add a perforated plate. On top of that, put a hot pot ring. This saves the bottom of the cake from getting burnt. Remove the gasket and whistle, cover the cooker and heat on a medium-high flame for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Now, let’s start making the batter! Sieve the flour in a big bowl. Add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. If you want a sweeter base cake, add some sugar to this level as well. Otherwise, the frosting takes care of that aspect. Sieve the dry mixture again.
- Add the condensed milk, melted butter and water. Also, add the vinegar and vanilla extract to the mixture. Mix well till you get an even smooth batter. To save time, you can also use a Hand Blender.
- Transfer the contents to the baking tray. Knock it a few times till it gets settled and levelled with the tray. Place the pan carefully in the hot pressure cooker.
- Cover the cooker without the gasket and the whistle and bake on medium-high flame for about 50 – 60 minutes. When done, you should be graced with the pleasant fragrance of the prepared cake.
- To check if it’s done or not, place a skewer or a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean without any sludge of the batter, your cake is made!
- Leave the cake to cool on a wire rack while we prepare the frosting.
To make the buttercream frosting, follow these steps.
- Use your hand blender to beat the soft unsalted butter for about 3 minutes till it turns into a smooth cream.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar half cup at a time, using a sieve.
- Using the hand blender, continue mixing at a medium speed. Add vanilla extract and milk to adjust the consistency. Mix until it is fluffy.
- Cover the cake with frosting and your favourite toppings like sprinkles or biscuit crumbs.